Friday, February 22, 2013

There are really good people in this world.

Yesterday I was distraught. I felt that I hadn't done my best at a simple 8 minute presentation for one of my education classes. I had freaked out and as a result stuttered, tripped over my words, and skipped steps of the actual presentation. I let it affect my mood and suddenly I was loathing life, dreading continuing the day, and even contemplating becoming a hermit and dropping out of school. I was completely encased with dread and remorse for a simple mistake.
I voiced my prideful and distraught opinion about my situation on facebook, much like a 12 year old junior high student would do. Luckily people are sensitive, kind and just all around wonderful. What I found when I logged back in what a plethora of encouragements to "do better next time", "you will not be perfect over night" nor "will you reach the 'destination' of being a good teacher because it is a 'direction'."
People are so nice sometimes.
After my class today I was surrounded by a few cohort friends who voiced genuine concern for me (you know who you are) and let me know that I was doing just fine. That I was a good teacher, and that I just needed to keep practicing and working everyday to be a teacher. Many expressed times where they too felt inadequate or unable to do something. Some described fears of playing the piano in front of others, even though they had an amazing talent and could read almost any piece of music in front of them. Others expressed frustration while conducting a recent ballroom class as an instructor and others just afraid of failing, just like me.
I found out that no one sees what I see when I teach. I found out that others have fears just as I do.
   There are really good people in this world, and I have the opportunity, if not the privilege of associating with a majority of them on a daily basis.

No comments: