Thursday, February 7, 2013

My Application ... for a teaching intership

Somethings are scary, like holding a boa constrictor....then there is filling out a possible life changing application and you're still not completely sure if it is the right choice.

Regardless, I've got to make a decision before God lets me know I need to do and I have chosen to fill this dang thing out.

Here are the answers to the questions being asked of me in the application for the Internship program. I am trying to be myself, I hope that panel of principals and board members can see that. What do you think? Keep in mind that for 4 out of the 5 questions I was restricted to a mere 50 words or less to explain myself.

1. What are your long-term goals?
I would like to have my own classroom and pursue a Master’s in Education or Literacy for Children. I would like to be an asset to future generations in the classroom and in my own home and throughout my life continue to learn and become knowledgeable about many different subjects.


2. What are your short-term goals?
I will graduate from college with my Bachelor’s in Elementary Education where I will teach my own class and love every minute of it. I will enhance my teaching skills by improving my writing, expanding my vocabulary, and familiarizing myself          with the Spanish language to better assist my future students.
                                                                                                                           
3. List any experiences you have had teaching and/or working with children or youth.
 I have had numerous opportunities to interact with children in a teaching role. These experiences have helped me gain a healthy perspective on education. One such experience was my opportunity to serve as an LDS missionary in Nauvoo, Illinois. During those 4 months, my particular assignment was to participate in a children’s play and to interact with children on a daily basis. It was through this experience that I not only develop a love for teaching but also an admiration for the children themselves. Upon arriving home I found myself in a position where I was tutoring a child and his illiterate mother, the basics of reading and comprehension. I was able to learn how to take complex concepts and tailor them to both the unique needs of the child and the mother. Following that experience I was able to dive into my education classes which directed me to the work study opportunity which I am currently taking part. Each Tuesday and Wednesday I help in tutoring and aiding a full Kindergarten class in their course work and centers. I have learned how to connect with these children and as result they feel able to communicate their needs and worries to me easily and without fear of rejection.

4. Explain how you expect to benefit from an internship?
The internship will be an opportunity to be pushed past my comfort zone and to learn from my mistakes. It will enable to me to integrate my past experiences into a stable and engaging classroom atmosphere while continuing to become more confident in my ability as a teacher.

 5. Identify your strengths and weaknesses, and provide any other information you feel would be helpful to a district and/or principal. 
I am hardworking individual, I don't give up easily, and I like a challenge. I love being around children, being their friend, and each time I teach I get more comfortable being their teacher. I love the arts, particularly music and dance, and would like them implemented into my classroom. 

Plus an attached Autobiography:
In 1989 I was born in Englewood, Colorado. I was four years old when my parents divorced and my mother brought my brother and me to Utah. Here in Utah I attended Scera Park elementary, where I found a love for math and for singing. From fifth grade on I have always been found singing in a choir and asking for extra math homework when able. I love laughing hard and long, watching Star Wars, The Office and Harry Potter with my husband. I have been
able to walk along the Eiffel tower, see Les Miserables in London and take in the beauty of the Irish country side before ever entering college. More often than not I find myself wanting to spend my paycheck on two things; food and books. I love eating as much as I love cooking and am elated every time I find a new recipe to try out on Sunday evenings. One day I hope to have a large family with my husband who I had the great blessing of marrying in the LDS Mt. Timpanogus temple on April 28, 2012. These ten months have been the highlight of my life because of my husband. He keeps me ground and he continually helps me see my potential as a student and future teacher. I love to read. I love the snow. I love music and I can devour a full bag of peanut butter M&M’s if I am left too long with them.

***Any comments? Suggestions? Hoorah's? Good jobs? 
I'm going for it. I did, and will DO.

No comments: