Sunday, February 3, 2013

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone...

     Recently I have found myself in a bi-polar esque quandary of emotions. One day I am happy as can be, the next day I'm having the worst of my life. I want to blame in on birth control or weather-depression but I think I'm just being dramatic and need to take care of my body better than I have been.
     Regardless I have had some recent moments of pure bliss because of small but incredibly uplifting acts of kindness were shown to me.
     - My presentation in my literacy class went better than I could have imagined. All of my group was on top of it, confident, and ready. We spoke with skill and had the classroom captivated and moving along with us. I felt great about. Unfortunately I have become to interested in getting good grades that I stress out about how much work I need to do now. This next week for homework is going to be brutal. I'm sadly going to have to do homework on Sunday :(
     - I've been going back and forth about the internship in the fall. Often (usually while in class) I feel like I could be an am totally capable of succeeding at it and then other days (like yesterday) I was sure that I would be the worst pick for the job and that I shouldn't even try for it. It literally scares me to fail. Although I was talking with Matt last night and he believes that failure really isn't an option. To fail is not to even try. If you mess up or don't do as well as you had planned on something, that just means you're trying, it doesn't mean you're a failure. He reminded me that I have been kicking butt in my classes and he so kindly added that I haven't failed at anything since we had been married. That was a nice thought. Failure really doesn't exist.
     - There was a quote on Facebook that made me reconsider my "no trying for the internship phase" ...
I feel that it was an answer to a prayer, pushing me to go for it.
Photo
How true that is? Right?!?

I'm the kind of person where the small and simple really matter.
Saying hello for example, just do it, make eye contact and let someone know you actually care about their life even if you don't know them well.
My last few days were filled with a few of those, makes my heart warm. 
     -The other day I was visited at work by two amazing people, Leah and Ammon. They are these incredible people that I have had the opportunity to come to know. She is my blog buddy, my field partner for school and my best new friend. She is pretty much awesome and where there is one awesome there is another, her husband. They came in and brought me this super cute note, it is in reference to Parks and Recreation which both of us are in love with. They don't know this but that note and act of kindness almost brought me to tears. If not an hour ago I was writing down ways I wasn't succeeding, things I shouldn't be doing, and being incredibly rude to myself on paper. It's amazing how a simple thing like a smile, a kind gesture, or a note and a bag of chips (w/ dip!) can change the whole day around, literally.
     -Amazingly the acts of kindness didn't stop there! After working 8 hours at a job that is not my favorite some days I went home exhausted and fell asleep before I could even change into pj's. The next morning I hear a knock on the bedroom door and a sweet kind voice, which was connected to my husband's voice box, ask if I was awake. All I could muster was a moan but I looked up and found him standing there with a tray of food. He asked if I was hungry, I always am so I happily let him set it across my legs. He came and joined with a hot cup of cocoa as we watched a little Netflix (shhh, we've actually been watching some south park...sometimes it's funny) Once again, this little act of selflessness actually brought me to tears, I had to quickly wipe away that tender tear that had fallen down my cheek before Matt returned. It had just meant so much to me.

So life is good, life is difficult. If it was always the same medium of difficulty I think we would get bored, or exhausted. I'm just so grateful for the people in my life, this blog where I can write whatever I want, and my dear husband and friends for treating me so kindly and in more ways than one, answering a prayer. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! This blog post almost brought me to tears!! Brianna, you must never say mean things to yourself because you are the sweetest person I know! I'm so glad our lil' visit could make your day a little better. I LOVED seeing you helping that old lady. Of course out of everyone there, you were to one helping her. You're just so sweet like that! Also, cute story about Matt bringing you food. :) Also, South Park!? Girl, we need to talk. haha. You're the best!