Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Small Things

I love walking to work and feeling the wind against my face. 
I love sitting in the same room as Matt. Myself, on the computer and him tinkering on his air soft gun. 
I love the humming of the planes outside and the drifting breeze that flows through the apartment.
I love the small message board we have on our fridge that invites the messaged conversation of passing lovers.
I love my husband's hair.
I just love him.

**********
Today I was at work for seven hours. 
3 1/2 working as an Expo: 
taking out sampler, putting dishes into the dishwasher, running around like a chicken with its head cut off
1 hr. lunch with Leah
3 hours rolling silverware over and over. 
600 pieces of rolled silverware later, I sit on my bed thinking about life.

**********
My life, more specifically, as a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

I have so much to be grateful for. 
My Savior gave his life for me, which enables me to have so much more than I could create for myself.
He has set in motion commandments which, if followed, are a cemented act of our love and our willingness to sacrifice. 
Why do we have the Word of Wisdom?
Yes, it is to keep our bodies healthy.
Why do you have the commandment to pay tithing? 
Yes, to be able to help the church grow.
Why do you make covenants with God in the temple?
Yes, it is to follow the crowd and do what we are told. 
All of these are good answers but after a conversation with Matt and I know there is so much more and a deeper reason to the things, we as members of the LDS church, are asked to do. 
We are asked to sacrifice for these things. 
To pay tithing is give a whole 10 percent of what we earn, that is a lot where money is tight. 
To follow the Word of Wisdom is give up the pleasures of alcohol, coffee, and other stimulants and also use things within the correct means. 
To make covenants with God, we sacrifice the easy road and take the more difficult one, to live a higher standard of living. 
God sacrificed His Only Begotten Son, therefore he asks us to sacrifice also. 
Sacrifice, over time, creates holiness. 
It creates a true being who is able to stand before God and understand, at least a sliver of, what Christ sacrificed for us. 

The small things we are asked to sacrifice, are really bigger than we sometimes realize. 

No comments: