Friday, June 21, 2013

Making Strides

Yesterday I decided I would actually use the sewing machine Matt bought me for Christmas. 
I have had, for awhile, a board on Pinterest called, "Soon to be Sewing"
And I hadn't used it yet. 
So I decided, for a few minutes, to peruse through the various links that I had pinned and after a time I came across a cute Maxi skirt pattern that claimed to be super easy. 
I took up the challenge, took my measurements and headed to the "Cotton Shop" on Freedom Blvd.
There I found a gorgeous yellow fabric that I decided would be my skirt in a few hours time. 
I rustled home and sat down at the sewing machine...
.....20 minutes later, after figuring out how to thread the darn thing, 
I was sewing!


Two hours later, with a little bit of help from my friends Sarah (Thank you sweets!)
It was complete! 
My first ever real sewing project! 
Do you like the yellow thread used on the black elastic? haha! 
Plus my super hippy/hipster headband and picture stance. 
I am all of the hip today. 
If you would like to make a skirt of your own, this is the website I used.
Great tutorial!


***********
I have told you that I plan to run a half-marathon with my friend Leah in September
This morning she invited me to run 3 miles on the Bonneville Lake River Trail.



I was thinking, "Sure, I can do three miles easily on pavement, this should be easy...ish"
Turns out it wasn't. It was like doing a hike double timing it. 
I was dead last 1/4 mile behind everyone the whole time. 
After we ran the 1.5 miles out to the pavement end, I was thinking that this may be too hard, that I wasn't good enough and that I couldn't do it. 
Funny thing happened.
Justin Bieber and Will.I.am saved me. 
Haha,
Their song, "That Power" came on my pandora and suddenly I could go farther
cause I had THE POWER! Haha, don't judge.
Plus Leah was helping me keep my spirits up and giving me compliments of even finishing, she was very helpful. 

But you know what? It was hard, but I did it.
Me, the lady who would rather have walked the mile in Junior High at a whopping 16 minutes.
The woman who has told herself over and over that she isn't a runner. 
I'll be honest, 
I'm not.
But! I am a jogger, and I can run three miles easily. 
Take that Junior High mindset!

2 comments:

pandaandlion said...

Your skirt is SOOO cute! I love yellow on you. I am getting a sewing machine in a couple days as well and just can't wait to use it. I have been hand stitching all my recent projects. ><

Unknown said...

You really did so awesome! I'm so glad you came! Leave it to Beibs to help us finish things. Never say never, right? haha. Love your skirt. Love you!