Saturday, March 9, 2013

Connections

I have made the decision to run a half-marathon with a friend of mine this summer (probably August!). It will be a huge step for someone who really doesn't enjoy running and would much rather sit at home watching Netflix. But even then as I was writing that sentence I knew I was speaking falsely.
I enjoy being productive, making goals, and having checklists. There are few things that bring me as much satisfaction as when I cross off items on my to-do list. It just lifts my spirits and I have genuine proof that I accomplish something that day.
Today I knew I needed to run, it was on my to-do list, but my legs were tired from running the day before. It turns out that I went shopping with one of my dear friends (Leah) and we talked a bit about my running. I was saying that I was running pretty slow and Leah kept helping me see that if I was trying my best, I would eventually get to where I needed to be to run a full half-marathon.
I got thinking and felt that our lives follows this very pattern.
We are here on earth to prepare to meet our God, to do our best and become better (or faster). Each day we do things that would help our progression such as; reading our scriptures (stretching), saying our morning and evening prayers (breathing correctly), go to church which shields with the armor of God (wearing good running shoes) and then pushing ourselves to learn more than we already know. I feel that each day we have the opportunity to run a little faster, run a little longer and become stronger in the gospel. He promises in D&C 88 that we will be able to "run and not faint" if we follow his commandments. We must follow his commandments and do the best we can.
We all will be running at different speeds and we all will have different strides, but eventually all of his (if are intentions are to do so) will reach the finish line, and spend eternity with our families and our God. No matter our score or time taken we will make it; even if we have some bumps along the way that take out of commission for awhile. Just as our muscles or sprains heal, the Atonement can help heal any wound; physical or emotional.
Isn't it amazing that we can find the gospel in the very simple and rather surprising parts of our lives. I wonder how life would be if we took more time to connect all that we do with what the Savior conducted for us.

How have you seen the hand of God in your life? How could you apply what you are doing to the gospel or the Atonement of Jesus Christ?

No comments: