Thursday, November 15, 2012

I'm my own worst enemy...

I want you to take a moment and think of a person with this description:
You see them daily
You curse their name frequently
You rarely compliment them
You always point out their faults
You are a bully to them
You have no respect for them
You constantly strive to raise them up but a passing comment from you brings them down
You see them as stupid
You see them as selfish
You see them as cowardice
You see them as not good enough...

Have you guessed it yet?
It's yourself.
It's me. 

I try out for things. 
I love to perform but I can never get past the auditions, to callbacks, on stage. "But you're in a show now.." some would say...well "I don't have any speaking parts do I? I can hide behind my beautiful voice can't I"
But I'll never be THAT character:
Belle...A Christmas Carol...Beauty and the Beast
Sally...You're a Good Man Charlie Brown
Kathy...Singing in the Rain
Dorothy
(I could live without Dorothy) 

I feel every time in my auditions that I'm kicking butt, I have a good voice, I have character...
But...
It's never enough.
I walked out of my audition tonight and suddenly started attacking myself.
Why?
I did my best.
I sang the loudest and most animated I could.
I went out there and literally...gave.my.all.
Will it amount to anything?
Probably not.
Because...
some other girl has worked with the directors before
some other girl has the "in" with the covey center
some other girl is thinner
some other girl has more expression
some other girl has had more experience 
some of other girl sounds like a child
some other girl is just.more.talented.

Yes, I am my own worst critic. 
Yes, I am talented.
Yes, I am so stinking hard on myself.
Yes, I live my life as if today were my last day and every microscopic thing that takes place during the day is life or death. 
Yes. I am my own worst enemy.

Completely irrelevant:
Tard Cat. Love. His. Face.


1 comment:

Adam B said...

It's so very true - we are our own worst enemies. It takes practice to see ourselves as enough, to not get down on ourselves. My friend posted this blog on Facebook, and it is fantastic. Take a read: http://offbeatmama.com/2012/11/telling-daughters-im-beautiful