Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Days Off

I see days off from school and work as a time to get things done. Whether that be cleaning our cute apartment, to do doing the laundry, to baking something, to finishing writing 100 lessons plans, to...oh boy...just being domestic.

I love being a wife.. I love being in charge of our finances.. I love being able to get places without a car by using the transit system (I actually adore taking the bus..even though sometimes it can be a little late)

I loved my time in the elementary classroom and each time something went wrong or I flopped or wasn't good enough at classroom management this little voice in the back of my head would say, "Is this really what you want to do? Are you really happy right now? Do you want to work with snotty nose kids all day, everyday? Wouldn't you just be happy in a cubicle job for the rest of your life? (Nothing against cubicle jobs, they do great for certain people, help this economy and give people the opportunity to have comfortable lives in their they would like to spend their time) but the true answer to these questions is:

Yes, this is really what I want to do.

Yes, I am  happy because they are learning something. I may stumble over my words and not be quite as confident is a subject as I am in others, but who said it was bad that I learn somethings while I'm teaching them. I think as the years progress I will get better, much more eloquent, and be able to command a classroom, be their friend, mom, teacher, and confidant. It will just take time.

Yes, yes, yes, I want to work with kids everyday. Even if there are kids that will talk back. Even if there are kids that will swear at me. Even if there are kids who will not respect me initially. Even if there are kids who will disrupt my class everyday. Even if there are kids who don't have the best home lives. Even if there are kids who make me physically sick. Even if there are kids who always misplace their papers. Even if there are kids who never give you a hug, handshake, high 5, or even a smile.
Even in those kids there is love, hope, kindness, surprise, and wanting to do good. Ever child should have a chance to succeed. I want them to.

Truthfully, No. I would not be happy in a cubicle job. I need to be around kids .

So that was basically me talking to myself...
Yep.
Days off, Love them.

No comments: