Saturday, November 17, 2012

I really am happy...teaching

     Last couple posts were just "I'm going to loathe for the day because I don't feel like I am good enough and I'm not talented enough and I'm never going to be good enough and I"m ....." K, I just ran out of things to say.
     A good night's sleep really does the trick in getting your mind back on track and your spirits back up to where they should be, especially at this time of year.
     So to resume my fallen behind thankfulness days I would like to write about the experience I have been able to have for the past three weeks or so.
I have been in an elementary school for the past three weeks
Teaching, failing, teaching, and learning
It has been a grand experience with ups and downs
Good and bad lesson plans
Time management and classroom management flops and successes
And a bunch of kids I will not soon forget.
I'm grateful for the opportunity to follow a prompting from the Holy Ghost to proceed into a program for a major I NEVER wanted to be in. 
I'm grateful that my Heavenly Father knows what I am good at:
Being with the kids
Wanting to speak to them on their level
Teaching them what I know
I'm grateful for the hardships which presented themselves, because I'm better than before, I have more Joy, I'm willing to work harder and try my best even more frequently because I KNOW I am capable. 
There are definitely things I still need to work on before I'll be ready to be a full-time, "It's your show" teacher.
But I really do believe this is what will make me happy in my life
(along side being a mother, someday, of course)

Highlights to my three weeks in field:
Chaten
Diego 
Mrs. E
Soccer 
Playing dodge ball with the kids and having 4th grade rivalries with students in the other class
Learning about the Native Americans while I teach it
Early morning breakfast with Leah
Bus rides
Adapting to situations
Pretzels 
Drawings from the girls
The light in their eyes
Their faces when I showed them the digital story I made about "Harry Potter" 
How well some activities went
and most of all
Mrs. E willingness to help us in every way she could. 

This was an experience I needed. 
It has shown me that I like teaching.
I'm not perfect at it, nor am I good at it yet.
But I will be. 
Yes, I think I will be .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great post, Brianna! I love your insight on the past 3 weeks. I think too often I just go trough the motion of things instead of actually drawing conclusions and insights to things. The past 3 weeks really have been a great experience. And I love our early morning breakfasts together!