Friday, October 19, 2012

A Feeling of Helplessness

Last night Matt and I had the opportunity to go down to Payson to babysit our wonderful neices and nephews while their parents attended an endownment session for Becky's sister.

The evening started out great! We made mac and cheese, sat down, laughed, talked and just enjoyed everyone's company. Then, as Becky had instructed, I took Madeline into the bedroom to get her a new diaper, into her pj's, and ready for bed. 
All. Hell. Broke. Loose. 
Just as I was changing her diaper she went ballistic  She was screaming, crying and relentlessly pulling away from me as I tried to attached the diaper to her waist. After removing the green poop, successfully applying the diaper, and finally (after 10 minutes of fighting)  getting her pj's on, I handed her a nice warm bottle and nicely put her into her crib. 
She wouldn't have it! 
She proceeded to scream like her life was being put to an end, and as though I was a demon from hell. She screamed and rent her bottle above her head in complete desperation to get out of the crib. I closed the blinds, handed her the pink bear, and cracked the door open and hoped her crying would stop. It didn't. It only escalated to the point of the poor girl making herself sick with sobs. 

I took her out of the crib and she stopped crying. 
Manipulation to a T... She was good.
 We proceeded to head downstairs with the rest of the family. After about 20 minutes I went upstairs to check on Lizzy, the 3 year old, and then I hear a blood curdling scream, worse than before. I see Matt coming down the hall with a flaying baby in tow.
It was horrible. 
We didn't know what to do for her. 
We felt absolutely helpless. Well...at least I did.
As we brought her into her room we put her into her crib, tried giving her a bottle, and just watched as she screamed, cried, and produced terrifying screeching and wailing. I continued to feel terrible. I could feel my heart breaking at the sight of her in so much distress. 

After a few minutes I just walked out of the room, turned off the light, and literally prayed to God that she would fall asleep and that this wouldn't scar her (don't judge! I didn't know what I was doing). 30 minutes later the crying stopped. I couldn't believe it. Madeline had fallen asleep out of complete exhaustion from crying for so long. Is that healthy for a baby? I felt horrible still and went up to check that she was breathing and hadn't died from how much she had cried. Turned out she was fine, breathing, and looked at peace.
*Wipe the sweat from my brow*

I know she isn't my child but I feel that this experience introduced me to what does happen in parenting. That being a parent isn't going to be the easiest thing I'm going to do in life. It won't be just having traditions, kisses, hugs, and all love and roses. It literally will be hell sometimes, and sometimes I'll have to be the bad guy. I think that will be the hardest thing to learn when Matt and I do become parents. I don't like being the bad guy..

So. Rude awakenings. They are good. Scary. But good. Right?

6 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

Having had this experience while babysitting before, yes -- it's a good thing to know. Not very pleasant to look forward to, but I often hear that it ends up being worth it.

You'll be a good mama, pretty lady. Even on the hard days.

Adrienne said...

Dude, HILARIOUS!!!! oh I love your guts. FYI, all. hell. breaks. lose. here, pretty much every day. And now you know why the people I unfollow on FB are the people I know are LYING. :) This was awesome.

Unknown said...

Oh man! The thing I'm most nervous about in parenting is when I have no idea what to do. But I think it's so great that you prayed because that is how we'll know what to do. This was hilarious. :)

TamaraJean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TamaraJean said...

Oh honey,
I remember those days when it was just what you said. But, they are learning times that we all experience.
Love is always there, you will be the best mom your child will know it. Don't worry to much.

Adam B said...

Okay, so I know this was hard for you, but I was smiling and giggling the whole time. Because I've been there...on multiple occasions...almost every day, in fact. My daughter is the cutest thing I've ever seen, but she can sure be a pain sometimes. She's gotten better - we can now lay her down in her crib at bedtime and she doesn't cry, but goes right to sleep. It took her about 13 months to do that.

And now she's started throwing tantrums, so I've started putting her in her crib when she does that (i.e. "time out"). She seems to be learning, but it's really hard "being the bad guy," as you said. But when you know it comes from love and knowing what's best for your child (and not anger), it's a little easier.