Monday, December 12, 2011

Sometimes the hard is what makes us grow

I've had a realization, well actually it's been a thought that i've been thinking about quite frequently these past couple months. My thought is this: Why does God give such hardships, temptations, trials to those who are keeping the gospel commandments as best they can. Those who are stalwart members of the church and even if the person isn't a member of my faith they are hit with very real and hard situations that sometimes seem so overwhelming that only brings one to tears or to their knees.

Why would a God let that happen. I have come up with an answer.

We have these moments, these trials where we feel like we can't keep going but we tend to forget there is something around the bend that will either bless us emotionally, physically, or spiritually. There is always a lesson to be learned when we experience the "growing pains" of mortal life. We have these moments where everything seems to be falling at our feet because we have yet to fall to the Savior's.

Through these recent months I hadn't come to terms with that thought: We literally can't do anything, fix anything, or accomplish anything to the fullest without a Savior. That's why he died! He died for me, he died for you. His death is the fundamental reason I know I am Child of God and have the ability to get past any trial if I but my trust in Him and never look back. Only refer to the past to learn from not to live in. That's been my block, my wall, not trusting in the Lord by relying on my own merits and abilities to get me past mistakes, down moments, failings, and wantings. He was only waiting for me to take a step of faith towards Him and let Him use the atonement in my life.
The Atonement is amazing, real, and the most fantastic thing that has happened in recent history. If it can be in the history books I consider it recent. :)

I'm grateful for my Savior and for the month long ability to think of and ponder about His birth, His mission, His life, His death, and His resurrection.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

"We have these moments where everything seems to be falling at our feet because we have yet to fall to the Savior's." You are so wise and so poetic. I want to frame that and hang it in my home. It will go right next to, "I will rest in God's kingdom, but let me build it first." I love you a lot.