Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Other Boleyn Girl

About 4 months ago I started to read this book:


The problem with me is I can only read a certain book for a small amount of time . So I would read a few chapters, put it down. Wait a week or two. Pick up and start the same trend all over again. But FINALLY i finished the book.
It was fantastic. I can't believe the writing style of this woman. I love how she can paint the picture in your head. Along with her ability to put the image in your head, you feel almost connected with the character's mind that you read in the book. Mary Boleyn. These women back in the time of Henry the 8th were no less treated like cattle. Being tossed around by their family and thrown into a relationship or marriage that was suitable in the eyes of power and wealth. But far from the comforting and loving nature that a marriage should established upon.
Mary Boleyn was married to a man twice her age at the small age of 12, I believe it was. The king (who's wife was now barren, and could no longer bear children) was looking for a "diversion" for himself...or so you could call it.

Long story short......kinda


-Mary Boleyn is sent to seduce the king
-Three or so years she is at his beck and call only as his mistress.
-She bears a daughter.
-Anne Boleyn tries to divert the king (and succeeds just before Mary has a boy)
-Mary's children are sent to the country.
-Anne Boleyn is on a mission to de thrown the queen of england and marry the king.
*****************many years pass. Anne is the King's mistress.
-Anne becomes queen after the queen is found poisioned.
-Anne conceives with a daughter.
-Anne has 4 miscarriages.
********************* many a mad king later, flirting with women, outcasts Anne.
-Anne is beheaded along with their Brother George for beliefe that incest had taken place.
-Mary Boleyn marries again to a man she loves and take "Elizatbeth" (many years later to
become QUEEN elizabeth) as her own. Who was Anne's daughter. And the story ends.


After 4 months of SLOWLY reading this book. I was very happy to finally finish and it made me realized how grateful I am to be in a time where I can do what I want. I can get an education. I can marry who i desire. I can be who I want to be, not what my family says I should be. I have my own way to go, and no one else writes my story for me. The women of the past were quite extrodinary. But incredibly held back in the aspect of reaching their full potential.
I'm glad to be somewhere, and be someone who can make her 0wn choices. yay!



......Now i just need another book to read.
One with:
*Depth
*Characterization
*Romance
*Humor
*Courage
Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Brooks and Heather Lively said...

I have been looking for a good book to read! Thanks!