Friday, August 23, 2013

Summer is quickly falling away

It's been a long summer, one where Matt and I have mostly stayed at home working and spending time with each other.
I have been working some long hours and some not long hours at Brick Oven as a server, and I have been LOVING it (starting Monday I'll mostly be working nights , so come at see me!) learning how it is to live off someone's tips.

Soapbox moment:
A little lesson in tipping. If you go to a restaurant where you don't have to do squat while you are there.. i.e. fill your drinks, punch in your food, make sure it comes out right, get it out to you in a timely manner, re-fill your drinks, take away dishes, replace silverware, retrieve additional straws and napkins, clean after your messy (but darling) children, and (with more included) live off what you pay me in tips... tip well.
Even if the service isn't "perfect", at least tip your waiter 10%, but more on upwards to the 15%-20% range. I know that you may not be able to afford the tip...but then why are you eating out?
Anyway, tip knowledge for ya:

A tip is 10%
A decent tip is 15%
A great tip is 20% or over

Now calculating tip isn't very hard. Let's say you bought:
8inch pizza dinner - 8.49
Drink (Dr. Pepper) - 2.49
Even this adds up to about 12.00 dollars in monies.
Now think back, for a moment, when you were in algebra and learning percentages.
To find what is 10% of 12.00 you move the decimal over one place to the left, thus resulting in a $1.20 tip.
Now stop, before you write that on your visa receipt or give that $1.20 cash, do you really think someone can pay for food, rent, family matters, and other things with a $1.20? No.
Now bump that $1.20 up by 10% more, you have $2.40, right?
Now is $2.40 a lot in the grand scheme of things? No.
Is $2.40 going to rattle your checkbook dry? No.
So by golly, leave a better tip! Shoot for 20%.
Be a decent person, and don't condemn my job choice when I actually LOVE serving you. I haven't felt this happy going to work in a long time, because I LOVE food, I LOVE interacting with people, and I LOVE serving you. So help make my job a little easier and tipping me and all waiters, who enjoy their job and like being there, a little better.
Thank you!

Soapbox, disengaged.

Back to our summers escapades:
I wish I could say that we went on a week long cruise around Jamaica or swam with dolphins among the waves of bora-bora, but we didn't.
Although we didn't do those things we have learned a lot about us as a couple, our lives in the future, and have gotten answers to, used to be, unknown questions.
We have learned more about Matt's brain injury and are on a path to, not so much correcting, but developing routines for a more fulfilled life. He has gotten in touch with a fantastic neuro-psycologist, who is nothing short of an answer to our prayers. He has such incredible insights about the brain and the way it functions which will lead Matt to develop those traits to make it as though the accident never  happened. We both feel incredibly blessed at the current moment.
There are a few people, who I don't know who you are, that I would like to thank personally, on this blog.
A few nights ago (roughly about a week) we received a quiet knock on our door. It being almost 9:30 at night, we were a little apprehensive about opening the door, and after waiting a few seconds, flipped the light switch and had a look to who was outside.
Instead of finding a person, we found 6-7 overflowing bags of food lying on our front porch with a little note attached (and 60 dollars inside). These wonderful people, whoever you are, helped in more ways than they will ever be able to understand.
Just the night before we were talking about budgeting and how it was going to be a little tight and moments later (if not hours) we receive this gift of generosity and kindness.
So, from the deepest tresses of my heart, whoever you are, thank you. We have prayed for you often and are so grateful for your kindness.

Well that's the little update with the hubster. I did find out recently that we be able to go down to my Dad's in Florida for New Year's this year! I am so excited. We haven't been able to see my Dad since we have gotten married, almost 1 1/2 years ago. Crazy how time flies.
Now,
School is starting, didn't you know, next week. And I have gotten my student teaching license! I can now finish my education and graduate, with a bachelor's degree!!
So, I'm moving up in the world and I get to have along side me my cousin Ashleigh, Leah, and Veraunica!!! It's going to be a great year and a great way to end my college career for the present.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen sista!! You're really good at being a server. Love you!