Saturday, August 24, 2013

Gloominess isn't always sadness

Today I only made 19 dollars for almost five hours of work, "right in the kicker sir". It was a painful few hours of few tables, and quiet customers. There were times that I was wandering around the restaurant, pining for something to do. I asked to be taught how to make one of the pizzas, my friend obliged, and I made a combination pizza, but then I had to move on. 
I unfolded 600 napkins, a responsibility that is given to the section that I was in, within 10 minutes. Then, again I began to roam. I walked around, talking with various people of different sections of the restaurant, contemplating the deeper things in life and wishing that it would start raining again....

Rain

One of my favorite things on the this planet, no exaggeration, is rain.

 I love the feeling it gives me and it's ability to heighten all 5 senses. 

We can breathe in the coolness of the air and let it fill our lungs, giving a frosty feeling to our insides. It was literally touch us on the face, arms, legs, and burr us to the bone. We can taste it as it dribbles down on tired faces or let it fall straight into our open mouths. The visions it creates within ponds, rivers, streams, and oceans, looks as if ballerinas are dancing across large timpani's. Which leads to the best part, the sound. 
The sound it omits is, more than likely, one of the most refreshing and calming sounds ever to be created. It moves gently across all senses once again and creates an almost, euphoric, feeling. A feeling that invites blankets to be tossed upon couples, and hands to be held, and lips to be kissed. 
If anyone were writing a novel, they wouldn't be far from saying rain was a matchmaker. 

But with rain comes gloom. The clouds outshine the sun and cover the source of "happiness" or vitamin exposure. It covers what we deem one of the most important sources of energy we have, if but for a little while. 
Life is like rain and gloom. 
There are times in life that we feel the gloom has overshadowed the bright sunny sunshine, replacing hope with fear. I think that we have moments in the gloom, which is preparing itself for rain, a new beginning. 
Rain washes away rust, regret, indecision, and fear from the pavement streets and replaces it with a musty warmth. The dirt is paved away to reveal dew, brighter and fuller color, and a fresh new smell that can only be brought on after the gloom has begun and had its time. 


2 comments:

lucywithalisp said...

i couldn't agree more. Beautiful writing Brianna dear, now come get your bread! ;)

Unknown said...

This is well written. I love the rain as well. The past few days where it has been raining have been awesome. But of course it was always while I had to work. I'm sorry you only made 19 dollars in yellow! You will be in oranges soon!