Friday, April 19, 2013

When it happens to you...you get exhausted.

It becomes a little more real, adulthood isn't always daises and fruit kabobs.

This week has be a hella of a week. So many things have come down around my person and the only way I know  how to deal with them is to cry, type, and forget.
But none of those solve the problem.
All of my classes are requiring me to spend exuberant amounts of money to turn in finals and key assignments, money which we don't have.
Each month I pay for bills and nothing is left over for the necessity of food. 
But then I have to take a step back and look at my cupboard and pantry, it is full of food.
My first world person doesn't want to eat any of "that" food. Which is completely selfish, considering there are millions who search for even one meal a day that may not be fulfilled and I'm over hearing whining about how we don't have fresh vegetables or milk.

Monday night we spent four hours handing out fliers for a girl who decided to run away from home. Of course we didn't know it a the time, we had thought it was an abduction. When we found out Tuesday that she had been found in an LDS church building only 10 miles away in Pleasant Grove, I had to stop myself from being irritated. I had to take a deep breath and not blame this girl for taking vital study time away from my husband, I had to not blame this girl for taking away time from all these families because she just decided to run away. After a few minutes, I thought about this situation from the perspective of the parents. They were absolutely frightened that their child, their flesh and blood may have been forcefully taken from her home.
That changed it for me.
I could no longer be mad at this 14 year old girl who is probably going through a lot of things I went through as a child. I couldn't be mad that she had taken half of provo on a search that could have been ended before it began, if she had just gone to school. I couldn't be mad at her, because of her parents. I saw what they were feeling and had so much empathy for them that I was feeling anxious the whole time we were finding flyers, "What if we didn't find her" "What if she was being raped" "What if..." "What if ..." "What if..."
But she was found, and that's a good thing, if not a great thing.
She is now with her family where they can effectively workout issues she may be dealing with. 

My good friend and her boyfriend broke up this week.
Once again I empathize to the point of exhaustion, because I know how it is to lose your first love. It is hard, it is difficult, and it feels like everything comes crushing down around you.
As she was telling me her feelings, I imagined if Matt had left me.. I would be torn to pieces. (But I know he would never do that)
I have felt so deeply for her and I can't seem to think of anything to do to really help her, and that makes me feel helpless, because I love her so.

Boston bombing, enough said. 

I have just been exhausted; emotionally, physically, and mentally.
So, so, so exhausted.
And I still have a whole slew of finals coming this next week, but before then I have two very large opinion papers to finish, finalization of final projects, and taking care of those around me.
I'm tired, so tired.

1 comment:

Adam B said...

My favorite quote about the girl who ran away came after she was found, from Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua. After he said there will be no charges filed, he followed up with, "There will be repercussions -- just ask her dad."

Oh man, when I got my daughter home, I would hug her, kiss her, hold her tight, tell her how much I loved her and how worried and scared I had been, and how glad I was that she was safe. Then she would be grounded...big time.