Friday, March 5, 2010

A little advice from a friend

For the last little while I have been having issues finding my place in the world ( I haven't resolved these issues but I'm getting there) and i was feeling pretty emotionally drained from it all last night and texted someone dear to me and asked their advice. This is what they said (and frankly it hit it right on the head) :

"Sometimes I wonder if it's fair for our generation to carry the burdens that we do. We are expected to understand so much in so little amount of time. We are expected to know ourselves almost perfectly but yet we find ourselves searching our souls more than ever! We live in a society that demand a certain standard of living, and as such we demand it of ourselves. It's easy to be caught up in it all. "Life" seems to be work, school, and social demands. It's a sad commentary that we have placed so much emphasis on the superficial. Allow for a moment to look at yourself and say truthfully who you want to be, without worrying about paying bills or pleasing anyone but yourself. More often than not we come up with something contrary to what the world would expect, but with a little common sense, is that so bad?"

During this time that I was receiving these texts I was at the a rehearsal for a choir that will be singing in general conference this coming April. We were singing "I feel my Savior's love" let's just say it was definitely a struggle to keep my emotions in and at times I had to stop singing in fear of tears starting to fall. But I could feel that someone was watching out for me. Someone I have never seen, but he knows the feelings that I am having and he can see the full perspective when I am just paying attention to this one moment in my life that is pretty dang hard...but it's learning from the hard things that makes you a stronger person.
There is a song that I enjoy listening to and one line, I think, that a verse in there applies to me.

"I know it's hard a rainy day
You wanna shut the world out
And just be left alone
But don't run out on your faith"

"Sometimes that mountain you've been climbing is just a grain of sand"

2 comments:

Julie Wilding said...

Oh Brianna :) thanks for this. Teared up a little bit--needed it! Thank you thank you.

(whoever was texting you this was sure a smart cookie!)

Janae said...

Love the text your friend sent. :)

I think you're in that choir with my ex fiancee. He's a big dude with a red beard. His name is Tanner. I'm sure it's a huge choir and you don't stand by the dudes but just in case. That's awesome that you're doing that.