Monday, September 8, 2008

Grandma Joy...the one who invented the silent laugh

So as most of you know my Grandma Joy is within her last days on this earth. Which for some reason seems so impossible to me. I always told her since I was little that she was going to live till 116! Apparently I was off by a couple years...

I'm not going to say that this is a hard thing that myself and my whole family is going through but at the same time i'm depressingly sad that she will passing soon. I will probably cry buckets and buckets of tears when she leaves but after I have had my cry I will ok. Ok, in a sense that I i know I will be seeing her again. Not for awhile, but i will see her again. And while our family wants her to stay so badly, it is keeping her from others that love her just as much. The other day when Ashleigh, Shelby, and myself went to go visit grandma we saw something peculiar. The room that we were in was lit very dimmly so that she could get to sleep easy. And every so often her eyes would shoot open and she would be staring diagnol to the ceiling. And when we went to look at her eyes her pupils were completely undialated. As if there was a huge amount of light in the room (which the wasn't)... so all three of us made an assumption that maybe she was seeing someone who was encompased in light.

Another thing that interesting was one time we asked her if grandpa Jim was here, (and at this time she could only respond with a little nod or shake of the head) and she almost instantly nodded her head. It was quite eye opening. So grandpa had come to see her, i'm sure many others have to. There is this book that the hospis nurse gave the family to help through the dying process and at one point of the book it said that the person dying could and most likely had one foot on each side. One in the living world, and one in the spiritual.

So even though our family will miss her dearly her other loved ones are waiting for her on the other side. She is just going on a long vacation. And we just have to get tickets in a couple decades.

Grandma Joy is someone who always would be laughing no matter if she heard your joke or not. Who would smile and act like she was listening when her hearing aids just weren't working that day. Who was the start of the Simmons "silent" laugh. Who always had a piece of gum or lollipop just for you. Who would always be willing to help in anyway she could. Who would tell you if you were doing something she didn't approve of, but love you still the same. Who made the most fantastic food, especially that chip dip! Who would always try to make it to every grandchilds event depending on how much energy she had that day. Who would always wait up at the airport terminal with my mom itching to see one of coming home. Grandma Joy is the epidimy of Joy. That's why her name fits so well. I will love her, and deeply treasure every moment I got to spend with her.

You will always be in my heart grandma.
Love you

No comments: